Preacher, why do you post stuff like this???

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Thin barrels do split

Honed to .739" with resultant wall thickness .018". I do not know the load which caused the split

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

And you also post stuff like this below, concerning your one-and only Damascus barreled OE Grade L.C. Smith 16 gauge gun...

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
"I personally measured the wall thickness of a 1906 L.C. Smith 16g No. 0E with “Good Two Rod” Damascus at .016”, 14” from the breech which [prior to having the wall thickness measured] had survived 250 2 1/2” 7/8 oz. Polywad Spred-R shells, 100 2 1/2” 7/8 oz. at 1145 fps. (about 8000 psi) loads [William Larkin Moore's], and 2 cases (500 shells) of 2 1/2” RST 3/4 oz. at 1100 fps (4,600 psi per RST) without rupture or dimensional changes."

My 3/4 oz handloads are listed in the manual at 5400 psi, a buddy chronographed the load at 1185 fps, and cases of that load have been through the gun.

The end-of-chamber MWT is .114" R (the thin barrel) and .118" L. 9" from breech is .032" R and .044" L.

It is my opinion that barrels that are thin from 12" from the breech to the muzzle (where pressures are much lower) are likely to split; not disintegrate

But the hand guard provides some additional safety.

You can get pissed at me for pointing out the obvious, and I'm sure you will be blinded by personal animus in your response. But it sounds like KYJon feels the essentially same way about guns like your one-and-only Damascus barreled OE Grade L.C. Smith. And he was commenting about barrels that are not only thicker than yours, but also have that .018" to .020" wall thickness a full 6" further from the breech than your gun.

Originally Posted by KY Jon
Thin barrels 20" from the breach do not scare me but anything less than that or closer than that will need careful consideration before I shoot them. Very careful.

It is little wonder that your friend Ed is repeatedly questioning everyone about what barrel wall thicknesses they consider safe, and why they feel that way. Nobody here, who has any good sense whatsoever, would advise someone to buy or shoot a ratty old Damascus L.C. Smith O Grade that has barrels with an .016" wall thickness at 14" from the breech. If you really wish to pass yourself off as a copy-and-paste internet shotgun barrel expert, then you really need to stop posting flawed and conflicting data, and potentially dangerous advise.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.