I am somewhat reluctant to revive this thread, as I don't want to overstay the wonderful welcome given this subject so far. However, one of the main aims I had in starting this thread was to elicit responses and turn up new information. Coming across another Irish pin-fire has reminded me of the lack of information on Irish guns and lesser-known Irish gunmakers.

Ireland has had a long history of gunmaking. While proximity to Great Britain meant close access to the gunmaking output of Birmingham, London and elsewhere, guns were also built in Ireland. While there was no doubt many a Birmingham gun assigned an Irish maker’s name, the skill and ability to make the component parts and finished products were also available in Ireland. The name Rigby arguably achieved the most fame. Still, other names, such as Murray and Richardson in Cork, Braddell in Belfast, and Trulock, Calderwood, Pattison, and Kavanagh in Dublin, also deserve to be recognized. A Braddell pin-fire game gun was examined earlier in this thread.

William Kavanagh established his business in Dublin in 1796. In 1822 his sons William and James were made partners in the firm, trading as William Kavanagh and Sons. In 1853 William Senior died, and his sons continued the business as William and James Kavanagh, operating from 12 Dame Street. In 1872 James died or retired, and William continued with his son as a partner, under the name William Kavanagh & Son, until 1928. While fine guns carrying the latter name do turn up, earlier guns are much harder to come by.

Here is an example signed William and James Kavanagh of 12 Dame Street, a 12-bore pin-fire game gun of exquisite proportion and execution. The barrels carry no proofs or bore markings, suggesting this is a home-grown gun and not one that was brought in from the Birmingham trade. The 30” barrels are acid-etched damascus, a finish popular on Rigby guns but also with other Irish makers. Unusual features on this gun include heel and toe plates instead of a solid butt plate, and the addition of sling swivels, most uncommon on a British game gun. The engraving and acanthus scrollwork is amongst the most attractive I’ve come across on a pin-fire gun. It weighs 7 lb 1 oz.

Does anyone have any information on Irish guns of this period?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]