We hear the term in proof and think that says it all. It does not. One of the 2” doubles on the upcoming Holts SealedBid auction tomorrow, has a barrel which is .006” thick I understand. The 2” guns were struck extremely thin to keep their weight down when made. Originally they were proofed at 2” but now I understand they are proofed at the same proof pressures as 2 1/2” guns. A much higher proof level. Lot number 5855C 2” non ejector FP Baker. Walls at .017 and .006. Still in proof otherwise could not be sold except for sleeving. Do not think “in proof” says it all.

So again proof is not a guarantee of being absolute safe to shoot. You still need to measure and know the wall thickness. They do not tell you where the wall thickness is down to .006, but to me it does not matter. For a reference I think your coke can is .0035-.0045”. .006 I expect you could dent with your thumbnail. If a dealer would never submit a gun for proof is it even a gun you ought to buy it and no dealer or smith would e er submit such a thin barrel for proof.

So when you read in the description that “wall below recommended thickness” you need to become very cautious. They are pointing out a potential major flaw and you need to understand it. Many of these guns end up on SealedBid because they are cripples or project guns needing work. In the main sale they list bore measurements for all the guns. They do not do so for sealed bid guns.