The area available for the powder going off is from the base of the wad to the base wad itself and the diameter of the shell. The cushion area of the wad cushions the shot, and not designed for expanding gases. It's so the shot doesn't get deformed. Do we know how stiff a wad with a shorter cushion area is than one with a longer cushion area ? NO. The cushion area allows for a good stack height with different powders. I still stand by my statement. I called Claybuster and they confirmed my belief. Even if I agreed with you, do you really think the cushion area collapsing a mirco second a little quicker is going to make a dangerous situation ? Why would anyone reload at maximum pressures ? We are in a double gun forum, so I'm not trying to cycle a auto, or worried about a little unburnt powder. It's all gone after the next shot. Why do you think I don't care about REAL pressure or velocity - whatever that means. I have 15,000 primers, 32 pounds of powder, 10,000 wads, and short on shot - only 10 bags. The primers are Win - a mild primer, powder is 700X and Promo, a little 7625 and PB. I've been reloading for over 50 years and don't need to be told if I sub in a wad from the same manufacture, with the same designed base, if it has a longer or shorter cushion it's going to change pressures enough to be concerned about. It won't change squat. Most of my 12s have 2 5/8" chambers. For over 17 years 2 3/4" shells have been going in those Damascus barrels with no problems. Sorry if I came off a little upset. You load what you want and I'll do as I want.

Last edited by Paul Harm; 08/01/22 12:35 PM.