I think John Roberts nailed it with the "pallet grade walnut" tag. But if someone said the first one was walnut stained beech, I'd hesitate to argue without a DNA test or a closer look. It isn't super hard to ID walnut in a good close up pic, but we've seen some "experts" here who couldn't tell a feather-crotch black walnut blank from a finished thin shell walnut stock that had totally different figure and grain.

I've never been a fan of the fake grain painting process for guns. Sometimes it looks OK for hiding a wood buttstock extension or a repaired area. But it is often very overdone, almost like a Liberace costume, or a woman with too much makeup. Some are gaudy enough to gag a maggot in a gut pile. And the process is quite expensive, especially for a surface treatment that would be totally ruined with any future refinishing attempt. I like KYJon's idea of doing butt transplants instead. I think one could still buy short butt blanks with nice grain and figure at a reasonable enough price, that a few butt transplants would quickly pay for that Grizzly mill to cut the mortices.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.