You cannot convert the push button safety to the rotating lever type. You can have the rotating lever put on the other side of the breech block, but, it isn’t always as simple as just turning it around. Sometimes there is some fitting involved. The push button safety cannot be switched from side to side, at least not the version produced for James Wayne when he was importing.

I was a lefty for 50 years, and the rotating lever on the left side would be my first choice on an R model Darne. I found it easy to point the lever down, keep my index finger near it, if not on it, and get it off at the flush. Pointy dogs help. So does 30 or so seasons of use.

The sliding safety on the left, that is used on V and P model Darne guns, is slick for a Southpaw. You have to remember to slide it back, instead of forward, but, I don’t feel it gets any better than that on a Darne. I was told that if a customer specified it, he could have the V type safety installed so you pushed it forward to get the safety off, but, it couldn’t be converted after it was built the other way. If you find a Darne V that is off safe when the safety is moved forward, THAT was custom ordered, and a rare, rare bird. For a right handed V user, the smaller frame guns, 20 gauge and down, are a little easier to get the thumb around to the left side and get the safety off. 12 gauge frames are big, 16s are a bit smaller, and 20 on down are pretty petite compared to the other two. I never could get a 12 gauge V gun safety off with my right hand.

The opening lever can be used as a safety, but, not on all guns. Some of the newer guns, say, post war, will fire with the lever not completely closed, recoil closing the lever against your thumb. The only way to know for sure is to test whatever gun you are using to see if you can get it to fire with the lever not completely closed. I know it sounds weird, but, just open the gun up and pull on the trigger, with no ammunition in it as you get the breech block closer to the barrels. In a perfect circumstance, lever up is a gun that won’t trip the firing pins.

If you have a Charlin, the gun was specifically designed not to fire unless it was completely closed, so the lever is a natural safety. Nothing to check on those.

When I was importing these guns, Kirk Merrington handled repair and warranty work. I have heard he might be working less or actually retired, but, his website is still up. Dewey Vicknair can certainly put a Darne right, but, I think he is buried, or was, last I talked to him.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted