Hi guys. Although I don't understand it, I agree with the comment that some guns just seem to fit right and others don't. After shooting dozens of side-by-sides of varying dimensions, though I've never been measured for a shotgun, I've found that in general I prefer about 14.5 inches of pull and 2.5 of drop at heel, but that I can make many other dimensions work for me. Oddly, I've had some guns with stock measurements that aren't close to what I think mine should be, yet I shoot the gun really well, and others that should fit just right that I can't shoot worth a darn. I don't pay much attention to pitch, but know that it can make a difference.

I am still confused on this pitch issue, though. You guys keep talking about cutting the butt at 90 degrees to the comb, but it seems to me the relation between the butt surface and the sighting plane is at least as important, if not more so, than its relation to the line of the comb, and that unless the comb line and the line of the top rib are identical on every shotgun you own, then using your method of basing the angle of the butt on the comb line will cause the relation between the butt and the sighting plane (the "pitch," as I understand it) to vary on every gun you so modify. Does that make sense? Thanks. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins