Finding an Ithaca Lefever Nitro Special is not all that hard but finding a used, but not used up, one especially in 16b had been a challenge. I finally did find what I was looking for (a 1925) and although the LOP was quite short I bought it and just shimmed up a slip-on pad whenever I shot it. The gun was satisfying to shoot but the shimming wasn't ideal and over time I found that I just didn't reach for it all that often. Enter Richard Brewster.

One day here he mentioned in a related thread that he had a custom stock for a 16ga NS that he would sell. Because of the cost of restocking a SxS relative to the value of a NS the thought had never crossed my mind. His mention started my thinking about the possibility. We began corresponding. He sent pictures and the stock was what appeared to be a nice mid grade Claro. I was interested but a potential problem was that my gun was a first generation long frame and his stock, which he said that he'd had made for his son but had laid in a drawer for years, was for a second generation short(er) frame. I knew the length of that frame was .39" shorter but no where could I find the other dimensions. Even Walt didn't know. I also knew that I'd have to have a new forend made for the gun because the original wouldn't match. Counting the costs was made easier by Richard's offer to sell me the stock for less (much less) than even the cost of just a comparable blank. After weighing the possibility that the stock could not be retrofitted to my frame, I decided the risk was worth the potential reward and bought it.

Boy, have I been glad. The other dimensions were scaled to the shorter frame and my gunsmith was able to inlet everything to fit my long frame. Finding the right wood for the new forend was unexpected fun. I got down on the shop floor and went through box after box of walnut scraps looking for the perfect match. I couldn't be more pleased with the final result. The gun fits me perfectly now and the fact that I shoot it well is no end of delight. Not knowing Richard was nearing death I had it at the range on Monday.

Original wood
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

New wood

Example of fit

New forend

The profile, grain and color of the original forend didn't match the new stock and since I like the New Ithaca Field Grade design I had my 'smith take that as his inspiration for the new one. I also had some African Ebony so I had him inlay the tip and make a new grip cap.

I'll never know Richard's thoughts behind his seemingly random mention of this hidden Nitro stock but I am very glad that he did and that we connected. This “new” “working man's double" is the result.

I also know that most of us rebel against the idea of changing the originality of a double. I do, too. But in this case the gun now has modern dimensions and is again practical for what it was originally intended ... and it's a delight to the eye.

Plus, with a few hand tools and 20 minutes the gun is all original again.

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 10/18/22 11:52 AM.

Speude Bradeos