Originally Posted by Buzz
Brent, I don’t think those cylindrical shaped catkins are from tag alder, more likely they are hazelnut bush catkins. I used to think they were from alder too, but alder katkins are typically larger. I’ve read grouse eat from alder but I really wonder? Grouse like alder swamps on windy days for escape cover. I’ve collected a lot of grouse with hazelnut bush which sometimes grows thick in mature woods. It looks like you had a good hunt. You are right ….grouse hunting is tough. 10x harder than quail hunting. I like to think of it as the Super Bowl of bird hunting. Maybe wild chukar hunting is harder, but I’ve never done that. Btw, I’m heading to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula tomorrow for a hunt. Supposed to be cold and wet early on. Is what it is…

You might be right about the alder/hazel. I thought alders were bigger and fatter as well. A quick google suggests you are exactly right. They sure do like them. Thanks for the correction. Until last year, I had been 48 yrs absent in the grouse woods. I have much catching up to do.

Grouse is tough in its own unique way, but pheasant hunting, where we go, is tougher by far - at least so far as physical exertion goes. But grousing has much rougher footing and more balancing acts, scrambling, and what not. Just different. Doesn't really matter what's tough or easy. We like them all and do as much as possible, which will be much less than normal this year.

Good luck in the UP. I'm hearing lots of conflicting reports on bird abundance around the Great Lakes. I hope you get into good numbers.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]