Originally Posted by keith
Linseed oil and flaxseed oil ARE NOT the same thing!

Just so that no one gets confused by this statement, linseed oil and flaxseed oil are the exact same thing with different names used based on their intended purposes.

"Cold-pressed linseed oil" and "cold pressed flaxseed oil" are identical in every way (assuming the labeling is correct), except packaging and intended purpose. (There are also 'hot press' and ''solvent extraction' methods of obtaining flaxseed/linseed oil)

'Refined Linseed Oil' and 'Refined Flaxseed Oil' both contain 100% linseed oil with no additives, the refinement being the removal of impurities and plant matter remaining from the extraction process. Again, only the package and purpose are different. Here's an article on alkali refinement of linseed oil, for those interested. As the authors point out, "[Linseed oil] is widely used today, not only in artist materials, but also for a wide range of industrial applications and as a dietary supplement." And here is an artist showing a traditional method of making "refined linseed oil", starting with food grade "flax seed oil."

"Polymerized Linseed Oil" is flaxseed/linseed oil that has been heated in the absence of oxygen to increase viscosity and decrease drying time. Still food safe, assuming no other additives, but no health advantage to polymerization as far as I can tell. Tried and True is my favorite maker of polymerized linseed oil, but there are others out there.

"Boiled Linseed Oil", of course, may be heated in some cases, but is generally the term used for flaxseed oil that has been processed with the addition of chemicals that improve performance as a product, but also make it toxic. Don't drink it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Woodreaux; 10/18/22 02:38 PM.

Jim