Come on Ed, you know how to measure recoil.
I've been shooting Damascus barreled SxSs since around 2000. I try to keep my reloads around 7500psi which is fairly easy to do with 3/4, 7/8 or 1oz loads under 1200fps. That will also satisfy Ed. There are very many loads in my Alliant handbook for 7/8oz loads [ it's what international skeet and trap loads are limited to ] using Clay Dot, Promo, Red Dot, American Select any where from 6000psi to 8000psi, many in the lower range. You want to use fiber wads, go right ahead. You're just going to lower the pressures given with plastic wads. The fiber doesn't seal as well.
A number of years back Sherman Bell tried to blow up 20 Damascus " wall hangers " given to him. He used Remington proof loads of around 18,300psi. NONE of them even cracked. He then took a Parker to 30,000psi before it let go. He also tested longer shells in short chambers. Pressures went up about 500. I shoot 2 3/4" shells in all my 12ga guns, many have 2 9/16" chambers. I think the OP is worrying too much. I'm not saying all guns are safe. Use your own judgement.

Last edited by Paul Harm; 11/16/22 02:45 PM.