“Intermittent failure to fire” is WAY better than “sometimes doubles”. Working on Darne R model triggers is a time consuming, difficult task, and most gunsmiths I know have walked away from it. When you are close to finished, you are REALLY close to having a gun that doubles.
Fair warning.
I’d be willing to bet it has crud in it, but, the springs that drive the strikers in an R don’t typically take no for an answer-they are stout, and as Dustin says, keep right on functioning even if broken. I have been hearing more chatter from the Ithaca 37 guys on FTF on ammunition with hard primers. Try a couple different kinds of ammunition. I’ve never done it, but, know a couple guys who boiled an old Darne breech block, dripped some oil into it when it dried (almost instantly) and reported everything was good. Not my style, but, if you have screwdrivers that have pink handles that were your wife’s before you were married (you know if that is you) it might be worth a shot. The striker has a stout little pin at the front, that was peened in when the gun was built. They are easily repaired if they break or wear too short.
Last point, the 17 grade is typically NOT an R, but, a P. Exceptions exist, but, almost always. A P, of course, is not an R. It is hard to believe how different two guns that feature a sliding breech can be.
When you get closer, let us know. Dustin is going to end up as a gunsmith ( he just doesn’t realize it just yet, I do) and I have no problem helping a guy like him or gunsmiths that have gotten stuck, out. I tend to not be too free with disassembly advice on a Darne, as not just anybody should tear into an old gun, any gun.

A guy with pink screwdrivers, for example.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted