Paying more than a guns true value just does not work for me. You can not pay “if perfect” prices for a gun which clearly is not perfect. Rare does not fix things. Worse with the premium placed on original condition any work done to fix or restore by definition has to reduce value because the gun is not original, pristine and high condition. If a gun has 10% bluing left, rebluing does not restore it to 100% condition no matter how you do it. A gun needing a new stock has only value as a shooter because any new stock will destroy any real collectible value. Plus it cost will never be recovered at resale. You pay 5K, then restock for 3K and then will be lucky to even get 5K at sale because original condition is gone.

Sellers always think their gun matches up with other guns even when they clearly do not. These days I just tell over enthusiastic sellers that I am downsizing my collection and pass on even making an offer. Don’t want to hurt their feelings, don’t need to make them mad and not looking to educate them or argue with them.