Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Dogon: As far as the "potholes" in Medicare that you mention, one showed up here yesterday in the form of a rather large bill. The real reason that they barrage you with notices before you turn 65 is that they can't wait to pick your pocket to help pay for the folks who can't or won't (who says we don't already have socialized medicine?). Whatever the fine is for not signing up on-time, if you've ever worked for a living it's likely much-less than what they'll be gouging you for, and... for questionable service at best. You actually have to submit a form to be given permission to use other (not government sponsored) insurance. I knew I smelled a rat here. The more I learn about it (Medicare) the less I want to have anything to do with it.

The potholes I've experienced so far are resulting from the cut-over from my old insurance due to how slow the invoicing & billing process is in the medical industry. I started MC July 1 and since then have been getting bills for the full amount sent to me as late as last month which were invoiced back to January that my old insurance denied payment on because I was no longer insured with them. I'm also going through a hassle with MC approval for my CPAP that I've used for a few years now. IMO, it should have been a simple cut-over to MC. MC is now requiring me to do another overnight sleep test before they'll approve paying for something my doctor says I need and sent a prescription to MC for. I'm hoping the road will smooth out once I navigate through these potholes.

On the positive side. Everything I had done medically since July 1 has been paid without any hassles!

Good luck with your MC cut-over!!