Really Serial Numbered Martini-Henry. Again this is not to bring back the Reilly line - the history is written; but this gun has just changed that history a bit:

Chapter 53 above on p.94), a chapter on Reilly built Martini-Henry, the final paragraph states this:

"There are many extant Reilly-made sporterized Martini-Henry’s in half a dozen calibers, one being an 8-bore (cal .775) big game gun. Several are pictured.(*53h, *53i, *53j, *53k) He engraved and retailed M-H’s; he may have assembled rifles himself at the 315 Oxford Street manufactuary using actions and barrels sent from elsewhere. Like the other gun makers, however, none of these have Reilly serial numbers. Reilly apparently did not serial number assembled guns."

Well here is a Reilly Martini-Hentry SN 33899. It does NOT have the Martini-Henry patent logo or the traditional Braendlin Armoury Co. crossed pennants roundel (example shown below from another Reilly).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I guess once the patent expired (and the question of who held that patent is still up in the air), Reilly did make those guns. This is the first one I've run across; never say never in the gun world:

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...+++736+&refno=++194231&saletype=
GOOD .577-450 (M/H) SINGLE-SHOT SPORTING RIFLE SIGNED E.M. REILLY & CO., serial numbered 33899 and 50951, 
circa 1900, with 28 3/4in. ovoid blued barrel, matted machine engraved flat sighting plane signed 'E.M. REILLY & CO. 277 OXFORD ST. LONDON W.', dove-tailed fore-sight, rear-sight of three folding leaves and one standing notch (originally equipped with an additional ladder now absent), border engraved action with machine engraved panels to both sides, tear-drop cocking indicator and thumb safe to right hand side, Reilly's serial number (33899) to top of wrist, chequered pistol-grip walnut butt-stock with roll-engraved iron heel-plate, finger lever with loop tip, chequered walnut splinter fore-end with moulded horn tip and eyelets for sling 

Last edited by Argo44; 11/17/23 02:15 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch