Reading documents today that would paralyze a monk. Needing a distraction, I began pondering the usual things and settled on what my next gun might look like. Clearly, it needs to fit me but, beyond that, how would I really use it? I've tried to hunt grouse with a dainty little 20-bore hammergun before and found that not to work so well for me (grouse are pretty unforgiving). When speed is of the essence, cocking two hammers just wasn't working for me. I still think hammerguns are gorgeous and want another but... I'd like to understand just how I might use it. Targets are clearly going to a bigger part of that use, and that means 12-gauge and then something a bit more substantial. I'm guessing that more-significant weight (instead of game-gun weight) would be an advantage here, like 7lbs plus and longer barrels, to make volume shooting easier on the user. It needs to be damascus (because I like damascus) and I'd prefer a back-action gun (because I like how they look). Past that, anything goes. Rebounding hammers are nice but not necessary and I've even come to appreciate the Jone underlever. Long story short, this isn't a necessary tool but it's something I keep coming back to. Alot of the guns I've looked at are short and have substantial drop, many have too-much of the wrong cast for a southpaw like me. Also, having some form of choke would be nice and many (if not most) of the guns I've examined so-far have almost none. Finding perfection is probably going to be tough here.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/20/23 05:45 PM.