I may have answered my own question, but confirmation by the experts would be appreciated now that 2" eyes are fixed on this thread. I posted photos of the below gun in June of 2020 with inquiry as to who made it. The only writing on it is "J.W. Lewis" on the breech end of the rib. A photo appears of the small engraved "J.W. Lewis". His name isn't recognized in the tomes of British makers. The rib is an unusual style, convex the length of the 28" barrels. The gun is a BLE. I have thought it to be a rebadged S&W, but with an unknown badge. Confirmation that it is probably an S&W is the serial number on the trigger guard. 4016. The Hellis's serial number depicted a few responses up, is 4105. Despite not having the case size caution typical on the ribs of an S&W double, the action appears to me to have been made by S&W. That S&W made guns for the trade is widely known. The pin and screw placement differs from my Hellis, but the Hellis is an extractor gun and the "Lewis?" is ejector. There are no other serial number markings on the metal work other than on the trigger guard. All metalwork is serial numbered on the Hellis.
If anyone has a better grasp of who made the gun, I'd love to hear it. Gil
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]