Putting the debate over science and insults aside, here is a different problem many would face in an eventual ban on lead ammunition:

There are many vintage deer rifles still in the woods. Yes, they make lead-free rifle ammunition, but only in the most popular or best-selling calibers. Not everyone hunts with a .30-06, .308, or .270. I have seen it in .30-30 and .45-70. The guy who hunts with a .32 Winchester Special, .35 Remington, .300 Savage, or even .250 Savage is going to be out of luck, because the ammunition manufacturers are just not going to produce those calibers. Right now, it's still tough to find lead ammunition in those calibers.

Is the guy who likes to hunt with his great-grandfather's Remington Model 8 or 81, or Savage Model 99 supposed to just hang it over the mantle? Or just buy a new rifle? I can tell you that there are still plenty of those rifles and calibers in the Northwoods (Maine, Adirondacks, etc.).

How about the traditional muzzleloading hunter? Hornady produces a lead-free bullet designed for the modern, in-line type muzzleloaders, but they are not compatible with a traditional flintlock or percussion rifle. Hornady or Speer have no plans to produce a lead-free round ball. I asked.

Vintage and antique shotguns have been well discussed and covered in numerous posts and threads.

While I believe individuals here are passionate and sincere regarding the environmental and wildlife impact of continued use of lead ammunition, the activists and money groups, along with the current regime are just using any bans as a way to curtail, restrict, and drive people away from hunting.