A Reilly percussion gun 18 bore SxS barrel set is being offered on Gunbroker which, if it is authentic, will present a new serial number problem for Reilly's from the late 1830's-1847.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/1009915336

The barrel has a SN 4188, which is outside of the current understanding of Reilly SN chronology. The seller claims the barrel has J.C. Reilly's name on it though this is unclear. No address looks to be on the barrel rib. And, the barrels were proofed in Birmingham, looks to be post 1855 (possibly reproofed at that time?), something rarely ever seen on Reilly's. "H&S" are stamped on both barrels and the "Damascus" pattern looks a pretty mess.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The advertiser quoted word for word from the Reilly history - probably the version published by Diggory in 2019: I've sent the following request to him:

Sir, I am the author of the Reilly history you've quoted in your ad. It has been much updated and can be read on Doublegunshop.com. I am curious about this barrel set for historical purposes. Is there an address on the rib? (It should be 316 High Holborn). Is the name "Reilly" or "J.C. Reilly?" Better photos would be appreciated. The barrels have Birmingham proofs on them, something not usually seen on a Reilly made gun. Thanks. Gene Williams, McLean Virginia

After a week there has been no word back from the seller. Without further evidence one must assume that 4188 is not a Reilly SN and that the barrel set is post 1855.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/26/23 01:16 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch