Originally Posted by AaronN
Originally Posted by ed good
is there any evidence of pin fire guns being used in the late war of yankee agression?
Originally Posted by Steve Nash
Originally Posted by ed good
is there any evidence of pin fire guns being used in the late war of yankee agression?

Ed, both sides used pin-fire revolvers, a subject well-researched and documented. With long guns, I suspect the answer is probably none. Pin-fire long guns were not developed for military use in breadth and numbers that would have interested either side in the conflict. I'm aware of a few rifle prototypes produced for evaluation by European militaries but with not much success. By the time British pin-fire sporting shotguns came down in price and increased in availability, they had been replaced by the central-fire, so North America saw few pin-fire shotguns being imported, and fewer still locally made, as discussed much earlier in this thread. While the revolver side of the pin-fire story is well known, it is the lack of information on sporting guns that led me to follow this subject.

I have excavated pinfire shotshell bases from over half a dozen civil war battle fields: https://aaronnewcomer.com/excavated-pinfire-guns-and-cartridges-from-the-american-civil-war/

Thanks, Aaron. I wondered if you might have this information.