Merry Christmas, everyone!

A good friend of mine recently acquired a 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworth S/N 2657XX and has been experiencing intermittent issues with the RH barrel firing. Following a misfire, the shell in the RH barrel typically exhibits a "somewhat light" primer strike. The LH barrel is 100% reliable even when transferring the misfired shell from the RH barrel. Several different brands of shells have been tried with no clear patterns developing when it comes to shell brands/misfires.

The gun was taken to a local, reputable gunsmith early this past summer and had the hammer springs replaced. We were told the hammers/pins were measured and found to be within tolerance. Prior to returning the gun, the 'smith test fired the gun 30-40 times using 3 or 4 different brands of shells with no issues. Before returning the gun to its owner, I put a box of Winchester (white box) and a box of Challenger shells through it with no issues.

Yesterday, the owner of the gun had 3 or 4 RH barrel misfires using both Fiocchi and Challenger shells. I happened to be present and inspected the misfired shells. The primer strikes were somewhat light but not terribly light. All misfired shells fired just fine in the LH barrel.

It kind of seems like the RH firing pin might be .001-.002" short or something along those lines.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of a gunsmith specializing in Fox Sterlingworths in the NC/SC/GA region, please feel free to let us know.

Much thanks,

BC