Originally Posted by GLS
Turkey hunter-handloaders have reported bloopers caused by migrating powders with some wads made by BP. However these were most likely shells carried over from season to season in someone's pocket. I believe the wad, nomenclature escapes me, was a 20 ga. wad with two small openings in the gas seal the purpose of which was unknown to me. I avoided the wad. Gil

Gil, I remember that issue well because I fired a blooper at a big gobbler with one. That was an unusual experience. The primer had enough power to lob the shot towards him, but it all landed before getting to him. He didn't know what had happened, but didn't hang around very long.

The issue wasn't a wad in this case; it was a gas seal sold by BPI that was placed over the powder and under the wad. For some reason, they put 2 holes in the "seal" that allowed quite a bit of the W296 to pass through it, leaving an air pocket to cause the blooper. I thought I was just unlucky, but I took the rest of the shells apart and nearly all of them would have misfired after being carried on just one hunting trip. The load works great if you fill the holes with fingernail polish or something similar.

Stan, I've had good results using Longshot in a 1 oz 20 gauge load, though it is a little faster than what you need. It sounds like you have solved your problem anyway. It's always amazing to me how very small changes in your shells can have such an effect on POI with a SxS. Try regulating a light field gun to shoot 1-5/8 oz turkey loads if you wanna have some fun. 😊