The shame of all this talk of beautiful workmanship in old American doubles is that I fear it's going away. I have a small collection of Hollenbeck, Syracuse, Three Barrel and one Baltimore that I cherish. My children don't care and I've gone to great lengths to explain to them what exceptional talent and drive it took to make these beauties. They all say great dad, and go about their own lives, never asking about them again.
I have a friend who grew up in Hungary and took an apprenticeship as a tool/gunsmith guy at a very young age. He said one day he was handed a bunch of steel and given the chance to make his own tools...screw drivers, chisel's, knives, etc. Then he was taught the art of making "V" springs. He said, you have to know your colors perfectly when you heat the steel...to much of a color and it won't work, too little of a color it won't work. He said, if you do it right, the true test is to take the "V" spring, clamp it closed and leave it alone over night. If it functions properly in the morning, it's a good spring.That's artistry and it's going away.
Before I leave, I hope underfunded Frank Hollenbeck gets the recognition he deserves. He made some mighty fine doubles.