I know I’m pushing buttons— I will say I don’t profess any of it absolute. There is no doubt these guns have lasted 100+ years and many could still out last me or “ya’ll” and shoot untold thousands of rounds. I have no doubt that skill level and work ethic has declined every decade since these factories opened their doors. Find the man who will find Garcia! Bear in mind that letter itself was written in 1898/1899 (iirc) But remember without a doubt, it was a factory- pictured right on the letterhead, and it’s a typewriter, or a Model T, or a coffee grinder. There’s no shame in that. It sustained production for 70 ish years? The guns themselves lasting over 100. There are no doubt gems of the bunch. There were no doubt items “built on a Friday.”
If you want innovation, design, or evolution: D. Lefever, F Hollenbeck, F Lefever. L.C. Smith was business, Hunter was business. I have no doubt they tried to buy the best. I think it a bold claim to think that is always for sale or truly confined to one business. I mean L.C. Smith was not the New York Yankees even if Ruth owned one!
(1960 still the best World Series BTW)

I’m going to catch with my kids