This is a question that has bugged me for some time, now. I see so often that shooters here load 3/4 oz. loads for 12 ga. guns. I would like some explanation on why different folks do this.

I have doubleguns in all popular gauges ...... 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410 bore. I have developed, for me, a pretty strict "chart" of payloads that I will use in the different gauges and bores. They are as follows:

10 - 1 1/4 oz. and up
12 - 1 oz. thru 1 3/8 oz.
16 - 1 oz. thru 1 1/8 oz.
20 - 7/8 oz. thru 1 oz.
28 - 3/4 oz.
.410 - 1/2 oz. thru 3/4 oz.

What are the reasons for using a 3/4 oz. load in a 12 ga. gun? I know all the arguments about short-for-the-gauge shot columns, cost savings on the shot, recoil reduction, etc. But, using a 3/4 oz. load in a 12 has never appealed to me, not even in a 16 or 20 for that matter. And, I would like to understand the reasoning behind others doing this. When there are gauges well suited to lesser payloads why go to the effort to load an "anemic" load in a larger bore?

There won't be any belittling of anyone's opinions by me, whatever they are. I'd just like to understand the motivations of different folks.

Thanks in advance. Please share your opinions.

May God bless America and those who defend her.