"Hate speech" . . . Jack, you've even fallen into PC terminology. When you can't see the poster's face nor hear his voice, how do you know he "hates" anyone? Perhaps he's saying it with a smile . . . or have you forgotten that famous line from the classic Western novel, "The Virginian": "When you call me that, smile!"? If someone says, "Jack, you dirty SOB!"--well, you probably know from the tone of voice whether it's a serious insult . . . or maybe a "term of endearment" from a friend. Even more so if you're looking at the individual and can see his facial expression. In cyberspace? Not a chance.

Those who go around accusing others of "hate speech" every time they hear anything that offends them might want to take a closer look at the first amendment to the Constitution. It doesn't guarantee freedom of speech only if said speech offends no one. Freedom of speech carries with it the freedom to offend. And as long as others are free to say "that offends me", seems to me that's far enough--as opposed to shouting down the "offender" and his right to offend, if he wishes to do so.

Last edited by L. Brown; 11/20/07 02:18 PM.