Well,regarding pitted barrels, I only know of one way to skin this cat. I am not aware of any way to determine the depth of the pits. The barrel wall thickness is the limiting factor. I know of no one who has determined a way to measure the depth of pitting in the bore. The best method I know of to deal with it is to carefully measure the wall thickness over the entire length of the barrels. If there is sufficient thickness to warrant it, the barrels can be re-bored with a .005"-over reamer and the pits re-examined. If the pits are gone, the deepest one was .0025". If not, and there is still sufficient barrel wall thickness, you can re-ream and take another .005" from the bore (.0025" from the wall thickness) and re-examine. If you get to minimum wall thickness (determined by who?) and still have significant pitting, then you are stuck. It isn't a perfect solution, and involves taking a chance on the gun and your investment to find the answer, but I don't know of any other method to find the answer. If it is a small bore gun of higher grade, the potential rewards are great as Eightbore points out. However, I have a VH 28 ga. in my possession with severely pitted barrels that still has original diameter bores (has never been reamed) yet has minimal wall thickness (from the factory). Therefore, I am stuck...