It has been said that the first liar doesn't stand a chance in camps I have been in. So, I have held off in fear of ridicule and distain for an unplanned shot till now. Two years ago while hunting around Great Falls I spooked a nice two point out of his bed. He had been in a thicket below me in the bottom of a coulee. As he headed up the coulee wall on the opposite side I took a shot( later marked at 125yd). I worked the bolt as I realized I had missed. My next shot was lined up on the back bone and with a little lead I pulled the trigger. I stood there in disbelief, the buck was gone from sight. If I shoot I always check the area out just in case I didn't miss. I hiked down and thru the coulee and up the other side. Thinking the deer had made a descent into the next coolee I continued walking. Low and behold I spotted the buck. I was proud of myself thinking how my trap shooting had payed off. The buck was on his belly with legs streched out as if hit in full stride. Pleased with myself I prepared to field dress the little guy. I grabbed one antler to help roll him over. What a surprise when I realized the skull was shattered and the antlers were independent of one another. Upon looking a little closer I found my shot had hit just below the left ear and exited between the eyes. Later when the work was done my companion loaned me his range finder. The distance was 185 yards. I was intending on a back shot. I still blame the deer for the poor placement. If he hadn't jumped that one last time...Oh well. Open country hunting offers many chances and it is unlikely I will do this again, but for now it is a good memory. Good hunting,
Ron