Kray,
I feed my 16 gauge Frenchie a diet of 1 ounce Estate and Federal loads, I also have a flat of 1 ounce Fiocchi's I plan to shoot through it. My concern is not the recoil, but rather the thin barrels on the gun (though it is proofed for the pressures generated by what I shoot in it). The last owner extended the 2.5" chambers to 2.75"s by extending the forcing cones, I don't know what he shot through it, but I'm currently having the gun put back on face. I was tired of shimming the hook and I like the gun so much I just didn't feel right about it.
I've hesitated to reload since I've seen numerous examples of blown barrels in both modern and vintage guns caused by reloading mistakes. I'm very active and easily distracted (probably why I hunt upland rather than ducks and geese) anyhow, I don't feel that I have a good personality for safe reloading. Nonetheless, last year I purchased one of those little Lee Loaders on eBay and I may try making up some custom field loads since the manufacturers are not inclined to meet my needs (probably the only thing I dislike about 16 gauge).
As far as mail ordering shells, if the custom shell manufacturers would supply mixed load flats (such as 2 boxes of #6's and 8 boxes of #7.5's without charging me extra) I might be more inclined to mail order what I need. Last year I shot some black powder loads through the gun and they were really sweet.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)