Originally Posted By: Greg Hartman
Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
Originally Posted By: Greg Hartman
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Greg
Beautiful Model 42!
Steve
At one time, I used the 42 for "wild" bird hunting.

Did you shoot it one handed? If not maybe you could loan it to David Foster (referencing his idiotic column in Gray's a couple issues back).

Sorry - I don't understand the reference - cultural pygmy, I suppose.

No - I didn't shoot it one-handed. Why would anyone do that? .410's are tough enough without playing such silly games. Now and then I see people shooting some of the easy skeet stations one-handed, from the hip or the like - and frankly I think that is a very bad practice - what if you lose control of the gun? On game that is unconscionable. At the very least I would leave if I saw anyone doing that - not only is there the safety factor, but a hunter has a duty to dispatch game humanely.

In David Foster's Gray's column three (I think) issues back he announced that in order to make things more challanging he now shoots upland birds only with a Model 42 .410, and with only one hand. I looked hard for the tongue-in-cheek but couldn't find it. I thought it an extremely arrogant and idiotic thing to say; I started a couple of letters to the editor (him!) to say so, but never got around to finishing one, and gave up.

Letters in the last two issues told me I wasn't the only one who felt that way, but Foster gave and equally arrogant and idiotic response. I've been a long-time Gray's subscriber but have become increasingly disappointed in the magazine and its attitude; this pretty much clinched it for me, and I doubt I'll be renewing.

Anyway, sorry for the obscure reference; I thought maybe others were familiar with the column.

Fin

Last edited by Fin2Feather; 11/01/06 10:47 AM.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein