Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
Harry

The tapered pin in the action is a take-down so there may have been more barrels for the action at one time. It’s very possible that the take-down pin was the work of Zischang. Dr. Baker had many rifles and this rifle may have been something else between the long-range and woodchuck rifle we see today.

Michael

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the prompt reply, but it has brought up another question. I know that some different makes of rifles,(including target rifles)had the barrels pinned in place by one or two crosspins. There being no threads on either the receiver or barrel.

Is Dr.Bakers rifle 'threadless' or, is the barrel a light hand tight screw in fit, locked in place by the cross pin, or is the pin alone holding the barrel in position?

I only ask,because I am building a 'Borchardt' from scratch and the thought had crossed my mind to have two or more of barrels in different calibres that could be changed quickly, in the field, instead of having to take the rifle home and do a barrel change there.

It would make my project a lot more interesting if I could have one barrel in 45/70 or 45/90 for long range BRCR, a .38" -.40"BP round for hunting Roe Deer, and, with a spare breechblock it could be converted to a .22 rimfire for rabbits and vermin.

Provided the receiver ring and the barrels are precision ground so that they fit together without any movement or play, I see no reason why a tapered locking pin shouldn't hold them together as well as the traditional screw together fitting. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 11/04/06 07:57 PM.