Chuck;
I too remember Oscar mentioning that. If the rest of the gun were worth it I would try that on this set. As mentioned though both bores are badly pitted their full length, also the stock was splintered & barely held together with tape. No finish remains anywhere on gun, it was strictly a parts gun. Hasn't proved to be a wise investment though, as none of my other Lefevers has broken a part yet. The main point though is, this gun was the exact opposite of all those we are "Warned" about which may have hidden flaws under an otherwise immaculate finish. This bbl (I only fired the cracked one) was already badly pitted & cracked. I didn't fire a lot of rounds, maybe 4-6 of each load so dozen to dozen & a half total (didn't reach #"N") but they didn't even open the existing crack back up enough for it to be readily visable. Anyone just visually examing this bbl, even after I told them where to look, would have to take my word the crack was there. The handload was incidently based on a "Low Velocity" 3-1½ load which was published in the Rifleman using Unique powder, but even though i was using the same case & wad I found very heavy compression would be needed to get the 1½oz of shot in, so dropped back to 1 3/8oz. This load was probably not as stressful as the factory "Express" load but it stood up to several of all three loads. The original crack as stated followed a weld line for about ¼" right out on the outer periphery of the left bbl then turned about 90° & went forward for about 1/8". On the muzzle side this little sq cornered flap was lifted up & on the breech side was still dented in. The bore plug & peening hammer put it where it was virtually invisable. "NO" touch up was done after firing & it remains virtually invisable to this day. This all took place probably over 30 yrs ago.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra