While Ithaca did use a torch in later times when not only refinishing but in the building of new guns, internal memos indicate that the offending gunsmiths were grasping at straws in procedure since the old original methods had been misplaced. The "torch" was the result of inability to develop a proper method of coloring or hardening. My reference is Walt Snyder's first Ithaca book. I sold a very nice 4E Single Trap to a friend for a very low price. Since he had little money in it, he decided to send it to Ithaca for refinish and Dollar Grade wood replacement. The gun came back terribly torched and fitted with obviously junk box high grade wood, poorly finished and chipped badly at the tangs and action back. They had used a "takeoff" stock on his 4E, not fitted it properly and did not refinish it. To be honest, I did not see the original order for the work nor did I see the invoice. However, none of the work done did anything but detract from the value of the gun which was a nice original 4E when sent to Ithaca. The refinishing methodology that the gentleman inherited from his old workplace is nothing to defend.