1.Salopian's recipe:

16 0z. Boiled Linseed Oil
2 oz. best turpentine or (best you can find)
200 grains carnauba wax (I used flakes)
2 teaspoons of Venice Turpentine. This is available from horse/farrier's supply [url=http://www.farnamhorse.com/100174.html][/url]

Simmer ingredients for 30 minute over low heat. I filter mine through a nylon stocking to remove the carnauba grit.

2. For Alkanet tincture, I soak 4 oz powdered alkanet root (grind it in a blender) and add 12 oz grain alchohol (190 proof). I pour everything in an empty plastic bottle (soda or gatorade) and let stand in the sun for a day or two. Filter and you've got alkanet stain. Let most of the alchohol evaporate and add the concentrate to linseed oil and you have a nice alkanet oil. I prefer the alkanettincture to the blood red but only a little.I use blood red to fortify it or as a wash over the oil coats later, I think the alkanet give a more natural red as a start. You'll have to play around with it but you can't screw anything up too badly so don't worry.

3. Checkering is stained by priming with a coat of linseed. Let dry. Then some color to taste. Use a toothbrush and wipe with a piece of terry cloth between apps.

4. Observe whatever advice Salopian gives especially about finish application. This finish reqire rubbing out with a soft cotton cloth, tedious but it gives the depth and luster you seek.

5. For end grain seal I use polyurethane, tru oil or any stuff I have laying around that keeps water out. If it's raining(rare), I take my 870 and leave the good stuff home.

Last edited by Hansli; 11/12/06 12:59 PM.